Deleting images from your iPhone’s photo gallery one by one can take some time, especially if you have hundreds or thousands of images. Thankfully, iOS lets users delete entire albums with a few taps. If you’re wondering how to speed up the photo deletion process and free up your device memory, we have you covered.
In this guide, we will share instructions on how to delete an entire album from your Photos app at once on different iPhone models. In addition, we will explain how to recover deleted albums or delete them permanently. Read on to find out how to make your photo gallery cleaner.
how to delete an album on iphone X, 11, 12, or IPhone 13
Instead of deleting individual pictures, you can delete entire albums at once. Here’s how to do it on newer iPhone models:
From the iPhone main menu, tap the Photos app icon. Tap “Albums” at the bottom of your screen. Tap “See All” in the top right corner of your screen to access all your albums. Tap “Edit” in the top right corner of your screen. Scroll through your album list to find the album you want to delete. Tap the red minus icon next to the album. Tap “Delete Album” to confirm or “Cancel” if you accidentally tap the minus icon.
How to Delete Photo Albums on iPhone 6, 7, or 8
Deleting entire albums on iPhone 6, 7, and 8 updated to the latest iOS version is no different than doing it on newer iPhone models. Follow the steps below:
From your iPhone menu, open your Photos gallery. Navigate to the “Albums” tab at the bottom of your screen. Select “See All,” which is located in the upper right corner. Tap “Edit” in the top right corner and tap the red minus icon next to the album you want to delete. Tap “Delete Album” to confirm. Or, tap “Cancel” to return to the selection.
How to Delete Multiple Photo Albums on iPhone
Sometimes, you may need to speed up the process and delete multiple albums at once from your iPhone. Unfortunately, this cannot be done directly on your iPhone; albums can only be deleted one at a time.
Why Can’t I Delete iPhone Albums?
Some albums on iPhone are created by default and cannot be deleted on the device. These albums include Camera Rolls, People, and Places, and albums synced with your PC via iTunes. You also cannot disable filtering by media type. However, albums synced with your PC can be deleted via iTunes on PC.
How to Delete Albums Synced via iTunes?
You can’t delete albums synced with your computer from iPhone, but you can do so through iTunes on your PC. Follow the instructions below:
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer using a Lightning cable.
2. Double-click iTunes on your computer to launch the app.
3. From the left sidebar, select the name of your iPhone.
4. Click “Photos.”
5. In the “Sync Photos” menu, click the circle next to “Selected Albums”.
6. Select all the albums you don’t want to delete. Be careful not to do otherwise, as unselected albums won’t sync with iPhone.
7. you. Click “Apply.” Wait for the sync to complete and disconnect your iPhone. The album should now be gone.
How to Recover Deleted Albums on iPhone?
Read Also: How to Overcome a Slow iPhone
Sometimes, people delete iPhone albums by mistake or realize they missed a photo afterwards. Luckily, you have 30 days to change your mind once you’ve deleted anything from your iPhone’s gallery. However, there is no way to recover the entire album. Instead, you have to recover images individually or all deleted images at once. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
2 you. Tap “Albums” at the bottom of your screen.
3. Tap “Recently Deleted.”
4. Tap “Select.”
5. Tap the image you want to recover. Or, tap “Restore All.”
6. Tap “Restore” to confirm your selection. You will see the recovered photos appear in their original album.
Why Does an Album I Didn’t Create Appear in My iPhone Photos App?
Sometimes, iPhone users come across an album they’ve never created and wonder how they got there. This can be annoying, because iPhone memory is limited, and such albums often contain duplicate content.
iPhone can automatically create new albums for apps that have your permission to save the content you post by using them. For example, when you post something on Instagram, iPhone saves the content of your post in a special album. This is not an iPhone error but an Instagram error. To stop Instagram from saving the pictures you post to your Photos app, follow the steps below:
1. Launch Instagram and log in to your account.
2. Tap on your profile picture located in the lower right corner of your screen.
3. From your profile page, tap the top right corner to access the menu.
4. From the menu, select “Settings,” then “Accounts.”
5. Scroll down and tap “Original Photo.”
6. Slide the switch next to “Save Original Photo” to the “Off” position (from right to left). If the button is grayed out, the action was successful.
Some iPhone albums can also be created by default. iPhone filters content by media type, so albums like “Videos” are created automatically.
Think Twice Before Deleting
Hopefully our guide has helped you to remove the iPhone Photos app from redundant images. Before deleting an entire album, be sure to check if it contains anything of value. It’s very important to check the “Recently Deleted” album, because once you delete it, you won’t be able to recover any content.
Do you know how to smartly organize iPhone photos? Or, perhaps, you know of an app that allows users to delete multiple albums at once? Share your experience in the comments section below.